Welcome to week 2!
How has the first week been? I hope you are having success in adjusting your routines.
The focus for this week is communication. For your wild card this week you are required to call or visit in person someone whom you don't normally talk to -- not a text, not email. If you already call your sister every day then you need to choose someone else - maybe a family member or friend who you haven't caught up with in a while. It doesn't need to be a super long conversation but at least 15 minutes. Try to really listen to what is going on with them and connect with them. You are required to do this 5 days this week. For the other 2 days you need to post a reply here on the blog (1 reply each to each post). You can choose which days you reply on the blog and which days you talk to someone.
As an incentive for those of you who may not want to post here on the blog: anyone who does their 2 posts on the blog this week will be eligible for a $25 Amazon gift card which I will do a random pick for (at the end of the week) using the number next to your name on the spreadsheet.
What to reply to:
On this post, please reply and introduce yourself. Type at least 3 sentences about yourself, anything you want to share.
On the next post, reply with a Top 10 list of your favorite things right now, in 2013.
My name is Emily Smith - I live in Parker, CO with my husband Kurt and our 6 children ranging in ages from 12 to 1. I was born and raised in Colorado and I love living here. I met Kurt 13 years ago while jogging in the rain in Provo, UT. I have 5 brothers and 2 sisters (both of whom are in on the challenge with me, along with 1 brother). One of the greatest blessings I have been given in my life is to be surrounded by incredible people who have taught me, supported me, lifted me up, and helped me along the way. That is one of the reasons why I was open to running this challenge -- I feel passionate about women connecting with other women (guys, I'm glad you are here too!)
Have a great week 2!
E
My name is Annalyn Rasmussen. I live in beyond freezing cold Rexburg, Idaho. We have just moved back to Idaho after a 1.5 year hiatus to California. I have 3 kids, 4,3,1. My husband is Ryan and we have been married almost 9 years. He keeps me on my toes and laughing. Life is never dull with him around and that is one of the reasons I love him. I am excited to do this challenge.... even though I am not that great at it and it is only week 1.
ReplyDeleteI just posted this long flowery message...and somehow it didn't post...so now I'll keep it brief and to the point! ;-) My Name is Amy Grant (not THAT Amy Grant)...it's my married name. I live in the Arts District in a loft in Downtown Los Angeles with my husband of 3 year, Tyler....my 9 week old son, Tyler James aka "TJ"...and my rescue dog, Ace. I love them so much that it aches in my chest when I think about it. I am originally from Long Island, New York...but moved to LA 9 years ago to pursue acting. I gave up acting 7 years ago, got sober, met Tyler at an AA meeting...and my life just gets better and better with every passing sober day! I work as a voiceover talent agent in Beverly Hills, but I am just about to start my 10th week of my 12 weeks of maternity leave. I am supposed to go back after 3 months....but I have made my mind up that there is no way that I can go back...I do not want to leave my son. We have no idea how we are going to make this work financially....but I have never felt so adamant about anything in my life...I hope that this challenge will someone help guide me through this.
ReplyDeleteThe personal posts and responses are always my favorite part of these challenges...I look forward to "meeting" the new folks and reacquainting with the old.
Dear Amy,
ReplyDeleteI'm Cyndie, and I live in Greensboro, NC. I quit my job as an attorney while my husband was in law school because I decided not to go back to work after Victor, now 6 1/2, was born. It made NO economic sense. We just did it. I have never regretted it, even though our financial situation was uncomfortable for years, and there are still lots of things I'd like to buy and do!
It's a big sacrifice of money and ambition, but when you know it's the right thing to do, there are other compensations.
One bit of advice: think of being at home as your new job. You are management and workforce all in one. Your husband is your partner--neither of you is an employee of the other.
Good luck!
Hi friends,
ReplyDeleteMy name is Valerie Wride, and love starting out the new year with a Resolutionary Challenge. This is my fourth challenge, I believe.
Amy, I was thrilled to see that you have a new baby!! Such wonderful news. I hope you are able to stay home with him; these are precious hours and days. I was blessed to be a stay home mom throughout the rearing of our five children; our youngest just went off to college. We have wonderful children, and I firmly believe that one of the reasons is because they had a mom at home. I'm not that great of a mother either! There is just a stability and peace that comes from knowing that mom is there for you.
Anyway, we live in northern Virginia; 30 miles west of Washington DC. My husband's career took us to Spanish-speaking countries for 15 years; our children were pretty much raised overseas.
I am a cellist and play in the Loudoun Symphony and the Mormon Orchestra of Washington DC, and teach cello out of my home studio.
I look forward to hearing and learning from the rest of you!
Amy, I'm so happy to hear about your son, congratulations ! I too can testify to you of how you can stay home with your baby and make it through. We have had some very rough financial years and some years where I was working a lot and not being a good mom at all. I'm so much happier now that I am with the children all the time and God has always watched over us. There are a lot of things we don't spend money on it don't do (have cable tv, go out to eat, take fancy trips...) but we do spend time as a family and that counts for a lot. I will be here to cheer you on!
ReplyDeleteHi, I'm Mary Dyer and I live in centennial, CO, not too far from you, Emily. My husband grew up here so as soon as we finished school we moved back. I am a member of the Colorado Mormon Chorale,teach voice, sew, and want too learn how to make better-tasting bread. I have 3 children, 8, 6, and 4. I think this challenge will be fun. My scores aren't very high yet, but I'm working on it. Here's to a time!
ReplyDeleteHi--I am Cyndie Swindlehurst. I have two boys, 6 1/2 and 4, and a husband named Jeremy. We are both attorneys, but he is in practice (litigation) and I am at home. We live in Greensboro, NC.
ReplyDeleteOne of my wild dreams came true last year when I was invited to write an advice column for NauvooTimes.com. My column runs every Thursday.
I like a clean, orderly house. My favorite chore is laundry. Cooking dinner is my least favorite.
I like to sing and play the piano, and I am learning to enjoy running. I love to read, and I adore audiobooks.
I'm excited to get to e-know you all!
Congrats Amy on your new bundle of joy!!! I will also help cheer you on through the year as you stay @ home w/ your precious baby! Being a mom is the best job there is! Not always easy but very rewarding! My name is Darcy Jaeger my husband Luke & i have been married for 18 1/2 years we live in a very small rural town called Minneola Kansas, 20 miles south of the famous Wild West town Dodge City Kansas. We have 3 biological daughters: BreAnn 17, Sydney 15, Lyndsay 13 & 2 other daughters that needed a family Ale 19, & Iya 18. Our girls are our life ;). My husband and I are 37 yrs old so as u can see we have spent 1/2 of our lives together, one of my favorite things to tell is that my husband gave me my 1st kiss in 7th grade!!!! I am a stay at home mom but i also am a k-12 substitute teacher, a semi truck driver for our family farm & fill in truck driver for our trucking company, i help with the bookkeeping for our farm & other businesses my husband & i own, we also make biodiesel, i also substitute as a cook at my girls school. I love to cook & bake, go camping in a tent, read, & spend time with friends & family. I absolutely love this challenge & cant wait to get to know you all better! Blessings to you all!
ReplyDeleteHello, I am Alana Sheffield. It is so fun to read what you all have written. You all sound so accomplished and interesting! I am not all that interesting.:) My family is raised and my husband, who I love dearly, and I had been empty nesters until a son with some health challenges came home to live with us for a time. We have been blessed with a large family and many grandchildren, for whom we are so very grateful! They are all amazing people, and some of them are part of this challenge! My goal for this challenge is to become stronger physically, have more energy, and I hope to lose some weight along the way. Being a part of this group has helped my motivation, so thank you to Emily and all of you who have put this together and who are participating!
ReplyDeleteHi, I'm Lisa Pratte from Castle Pines, CO. Nice to meet those of you who've blogged. I am steeped in children right now in my life. We have five from age 7 to 19. Raising them is my main occupation right now, but in a former life I got a degree in Humanities and then worked as a securities trader. My husband is a pilot. Since he is gone alot, I have alot to do around here. I'm not getting many of the spotless kitchen points yet but I am getting close every day and that is very nice!
ReplyDeleteI am Katie Krieger and I live near Highlands Ranch, CO (born and raised in SLC, UT). Curtis and I moved here after finishing at BYU with Civil Engineering degrees, and then I did a Masters at CU in Boulder in Water Resources. But since then, I have been a stay at home mom to girl twins who are almost 12 and a boy who is 6. I have loved being a mom, but also love to get involved in our schools, church, and help my husband run his company. I love to snow ski, go for walks, read, eat really good food, and play tennis. I love the structure of this challenge to help me stay focused on what is important to accomplish each day. It helps me prioritize and I end up leaving out a lot of the unnecessary stuff.
ReplyDeleteHi everyone, I am Sloane Shinn. I did this challenge five years ago when my girlfriend and fellow moms clubber of el segundo started it. I love that it has continued all these years. I can attest to the positive impact that it made in my life at the time and has since. I was able to make some great habits in my life - most importantly the nutrition, exercise, gratitude journal and reading. I am married (10 years) and mother of two, ages 8 and 5. We live in sunny southern california and love it. I have been "mostly" home with the kids full time, with exception to a bit of part-time work that just ended after 3 years, and much volunteer work in various capacities over the years. I know more than anything that whatever I do - with compensation or not - must have deep meaning for me. I look forward to connecting with others here over the next 11 weeks!
ReplyDeleteI'm Jennifer Harrison and I live in American Fork, Utah. I was raised in Littleton CO and Emily Smith is my sister, so I am lucky enough to watch my mom, sisters, brother, and sister-in-law doing this challenge. It helps me feel connected to family members I don't see regularly. My husband is a hardworking software engineer and I get to stay home and raise our children. We have 8 children, 5 girls and 3 boys, ranging in age from 15 to 3, no twins. With all that's going on around here, I have a long-standing habit of pushing my physical health to the bottom of the to-do list, thinking there will be more time later. I hope this challenge will help me change that. Thanks, Em, for doing this!
ReplyDeleteHi Friends!
ReplyDeleteI'm Lisa Crockett. I'm originally from the San Francisco Bay Area, but now live in Castle Pines, CO. I love it here and after nearly 10 years, it really does feel like home. I work part-time as a freelance writer but most of my time is devoted to my three kids, ages 10,9 and 7. I love to read a good book, eat a good meal, and sit on the beach -- it's a great day if I get to do all three, but given that we live 1,000 miles from the nearest ocean, that doesn't happen much. I love to do these challenges because it helps me get on track after the lax craziness of the holidays. Also, Emily has some really fun and creative ideas; can't wait to see what she comes up with next. Here's to the next 11 weeks.
Lisa Crockett
Top 10 Favorite (no particular order)
ReplyDelete1. Peace
2. Quiet
3. My sisters
4. My children
5. A clean home
6. Family reunion in the summer
7. My first garden
8. Order
9. The electric blanket my husband got me for Christmas
10. Finish my 1000 puzzle that I got for Christmas in 2011.
Hi, I'm Sara Garff and I did this challenge 4?? years ago. I can't remember, but I got an email for it the morning it started and was so excited. I started working on my New Year's resolutions in November and was already tanking and since most of the items on the challenge are part of my goals I was excited to join since I need some external motivation. I especially love the having my home put to bed challenge--I have 3 boys, 8, 5, and 3, and a husband that works late a lot and I've been wanting to get my kids helping out more with chores--I know I couldn't do this point without the boys help and it makes me feel good to be reminding them to pick up after themselves and load and unload the dishwasher (simple things, I know, but I love knowing I'm not the only person doing the house work).
ReplyDeleteI live in San Antonino, Tx--I'm from Utah originally, so is my husband. We spent 5 years in Encino, CA and have been here for a year and a half. The people here are so friendly and I have enjoyed Texas. I'm excited about the challenge.
Hi, I'm Heather Kroeber. I live in Provo, UT with my husband of 10 years and our 4 kids, 3 boys ages 8, 6 and 2 and a girl who will be one month old tomorrow. I almost didn't do this challenge because I have a new baby but figured a little extra motivation to do the things that I want to be doing anyway doesn't hurt. This is my first time doing this challenge and it's been fun so far.
ReplyDeleteI enjoy sewing, reading, writing, camping and hiking and wish I had more time to do any of them.
Hi! I'm Ann Sayeedi and have lived in Castle Pines, Colorado for the past five years. Before moving here, we spent the previous three years in Yorkshire, England. I'm the oldest of seven girls (born and raised in West Jordan, UT). I have three kids--two boys, ages 11 and 10, and a 7-year-old daughter. Many years ago I earned a degree in English and worked as a PR specialist at a non-profit here in Denver. I now stay busy taking care of my home and family. I love to read, run, garden, listen to music, finish home improvement projects and play the piano (poorly!). I like to learn and try new things.
ReplyDeleteHello, I'm Kristen Perschon, sister of Emily & Jennifer and Alana is my wonderful mother. My brother and sister in law are also doing this challenge. I live in Logan, UT with my husband of almost 5 years. My husband has his own start up insurance business and I work while I figure out what I really want to do with my life and then go to graduate school for it. We are currently battling infertility and having my 30th birthday approaching this year has made things a little bit harder emotionally for me. I love to sew, read and spend time with my husband. I'm hoping this challenge helps me eat healthier and lose weight, although since I haven't been exercising I can't really expect that! :)
ReplyDeleteOh and my other awesome sister in law Kate!
Deletedoes this reply go rith to you kristen?
DeleteI'm so sorry about your struggles with infertility. It truly is heart breaking. I have been there. I will remember you and your husband in prayer. xo
DeleteHi Kris...I also struggled with infertility for a long time and had 2 very sad miscarriages. Finally, this November 11th my son was born. If ever you want to chat privately...feel free to email me...stay in faith. xoxo
DeleteHi I'm Krista Pearson. My good friend and former neighbor Meghan introduced me to this challenge and I participated last year. It is one of the best things I have ever done for myself, so thanks to Emily for running it this year!! I live in Montana with my Husband(we've been married for 11 years) and 4 children, 1 boy and 3 girls. Their ages are 9, 7, 3, and 1. When people hear the ages of our kids they think we are smart for having 2 kids, a gap, and then 2 more kids. That really wasn't our plan it's just how they have come to us:) We moved here this past summer after my husband finished dental school and a one year residency in Cleveland and Akron Ohio. We live around the corner from my mom and dad and it is the. best. ever. We are living in our first home and I am surrounded by WHITE walls in every single room. It drives me crazy. We plan on painting this spring, so hopefully I will be able to narrow down my color choices by then, it really makes my head spin:) Any suggestions would be great! Nice meeting all of you!
ReplyDeleteHi! I am Jen Hardy. I live in Greensboro, NC with my husband and our 4 kids. I have a set of twin girls that are 8 and a set of boys that are 6. I am a westerner who was transplanted to the south 5 years ago. After a rough beginning, I have fallen in love with the south and it's complexity and beauty. Emily is my awesome SIL. She is super inspirational to me. I hope to get to know more of you better. I love having "cyber" friends all over the country.
ReplyDelete...and Heather Kroeber is my amazing sister, Quinn and Cyndie are my soul sisters!
DeleteFavorite things right this minute
ReplyDeleteSnow Days! ( snow in our neck of the woods is always a treat)
electricity
playing with my kids
Grapefruit - smell, taste, color all of it!
running
fresh spinach,chard and lettuce from my winter garden
my new camera
homemade bread
my family
friends
Hi! My name is Meghan Loveless. I love the Resolutionary Challenge! I didn't participate last year, but I did the previous 2 years. It's fun to be participating with my sister-in-law Alli, my neighbor Jenny and my dear friend Krista this time around. I was born in Hawaii, moved to Utah at 13, My husband and I moved to Boston and now we live in Cleveland where he is doing his oral surgery residency. I have 3 daughters ages 6, 3 and 7 months. Our house is full of all thing girly! I love being a mom, spending time with my family, cooking and planning parties.
ReplyDeleteHi I am Christa Sheffield! I live in castle Rock Colorado where my husband Brent and I just bought our first house. Brent is doing the challenge with me which has helped me so much to stay on task. I just happen to be Emily's sister in law which is how I got roped into this:) and I am glad I did.
ReplyDeleteI spend most of my time right now playing with my two little girls, Brinley who is 3, and Elsie who is 1. They keep me plenty busy and I am so glad I am lucky enough to be their momma. I love to cook but still don't have a very functional kitchen in our house yet. I pretend like I can sew, but I really can't. I love to read but can't remember the last time I sat down to actually read a book(audio books are the way to go right now). I like a clean house, but mine never is. Hey life moves on and there is still plenty of joy to be found in it.
And I'm Brent Sheffield. Christa is my wonderful wife, Emily, Kristen P, and Jen H are my sisters. Kate S is my sister in law and Alana S is my amazing mother. So basically most of the wormen in my family are doing the challenge and somehow I am doing it too. In all honesty I thought a brother-in-law of mine was going to do it but I guess that didn't happen. As Christa said above - we now live in Colorado and have our first house. I teach middle school Spanish in Parker, CO and I love it. The thing that really makes me happy though is coming home to my beautiful wife and sweet daughters. Tonight they both snuggled up to my wife and I on the bed and they ended up snuggling together with the older one tickling the back of the youngest. They both sat so still all snuggled up. It was so cute.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, This challenge has been fun and rewarding and I am thankful for a wife that supports me and helps me stay on top of it.
Hi! I'm Jenny Fitzner! I live in Cleveland, OH with my husband of 7 years, Brett, and my 2 children, Milo (3 years old), and Abbott (6 months old). I'm originally from Alberta, Canada and when my husband is finished school here in Cleveland, we'll be moving back home. I love the arts, one of my favorite hobbies is photography, which I've been doing for the past 7 years. I also am obsessed with blogging, I love it! It gives me a chance to do some journal writing for my children and to feature my photography and crafts. I spend most of my time with my kiddos and I couldn't ask for a better life. Thanks for this truly amazing experience! I feel as though I'm a happy/healthy person already.
ReplyDeleteI'm Courtney (logged in as my husband Troy - he joined the challenge too) because for some reason I can't sign into the blog! We live in Charlottesville, VA and have been here for 7+ years now. We have two fantastic kids, ages 6 & 3. I grew up in Colorado (with Emily!) and was even lucky enough to be one of her room mates at Ricks for the 2 years we were there. Virginia is great - but I really miss BIG mountains and snow!
ReplyDeleteI'm LIzzie Christensen. I live in Cambridge, MA with my husband, Matt and our 5 children. I am trying to tame my love of dark chocolate (or at least temper it) and increase my (non-existant) love of exercise. This challenge should help both!
ReplyDeleteHi, I'm Troy. I am originally for Marshall, MN, but now live in Charlottesville, VA with my incredible wife Courtney and our two wonderful kiddos (ages 6 and 3). I enjoy the great outdoors. I look forward to reading for fun again once graduate school ends this spring.
ReplyDeleteMy name is Quinn Madine and I live in Centerville, UT. My husband, Nathan and I, have four children. Three sons and a daughter, ages 7, 5, 4, and 4 months. I am a southerner transplanted to the west again(Las Vegas and St. George the first time.) We have been in Utah for a few months and are still adjusting. Thank you Emily for organizing this challenge. And thanks to everyone for sharing.
ReplyDeleteMy name is Brandi Tsuchimoto. I live in Castle Pines, Colorado. My husband Gregg and I have been married for 17 years and we have three girls ages 11,10 and 3. I work part time at an Outlet Mall near us. I just went back to work last year when our youngest was 2. I have been really trying to budget, and save more money. I became the assistant manager last summer and after four months decided that it was too much for me and my family to handle. I now work 2 shifts a week. It is a little extra money for us and I get to be home most of the time. My mother in law helps babysit sometimes or my husband will have the kids while I work. I am so grateful that we are able to make that choice. We love to travel and I am an avid scrapbooker, crafter and wanna be artist. I love connecting to all of the participants of the challenge. Amy- congratulations on the new baby!
ReplyDeleteMy name is Kathy Layton and I am from Calgary, Alberta, Canada. I have been married for 26 years and have four children, ages 24, 23, 21 and 19, two of which are serving LDS missions. Our oldest son Brett will be home in a few short weeks from San Antonio, Texas. Thanks Emily for organzing this. You have done a great job.
ReplyDeleteHi, I'm Vonda. I live in Castle Rock, Colorado with my husband and 2 daughters, Ellie, 11 and Cassie, 9. My husband and I will be married 20 years this March. My daughter Ellie is friends with Emily Smith's daughter Savannah which is how I found out about this challenge. I am originally from the Denver area and graduated from Metro with a degree in Aerospace Science. After college, I worked in the airline industry for 22 years doing jobs that I loved in airline operations. The hours were flexible enough that my husband and I were able to raise our daughters without childcare. The only thing I didn't like about my jobs was that I was always living in a location where I didn't want to be. My husband and I moved to Colorado from Texas (I was there 17 years!) in 2005. I took "early out" in 2006 and "retired". I am happy to be back in Colorado!!!
ReplyDeleteHi, I am Allison Raddon. This is my 3rd challenge. I grew up in Colorado, went to Homestead Elementary on Dry Creek Rd., West Middle School and Cherry Creek High School. I graduated from the Univ. of Kansas with a nursing degree and followed that up with a master's in nursing at the Univ. of Colorado. And, now I am a stay at home mom...which I love. I have been married for almost 16 years to Russ and we recently moved to Utah for a job change. However, we have just had another job change, back to our previous employer in Colorado - but we are staying in Utah, as that is where the headquarters are. We have 4 kids, Georgia (14), Macy (12), Grant (9) and Walt (7). They are busy with lacrosse, football, diving, golfing, soccer and more soccer. I spend so many hours in the car that I honestly think to myself "I could've driven to Colorado today". I have enjoyed this challenge with the exercise and scripture reading - both things I TRY to do, but never seem to get it done. I LOVE tennis and play almost everyday, but have realized that you can't play tennis to exercise, you have to exercise to play tennis. Not to toot my own horn - although that has been a wild card before- I won the Grand Slam Invitational tennis tournament, which concludes the tennis season each year. Pretty fun! Doing this with my husband has it's challenges, but he always pushes me to be better. My motto for this challenge is: Don't wish it were easier, wish you were better".
ReplyDeleteMy name is Wendy Cordell. I am originally from Southern California but currently living in South Carolina. I taught High School Family and Consumer Sciences for 6 years in UT before I got married and started having my babies. Now I am home with my children 5, 2, & 3 months. My husband just graduated with a masters in HR and we are about to be moving to Nebraska. I am really excited about this challenge, but have been absorbed with traveling, house hunting, and a colicy baby (who has been screaming during my writing this whole post). Hopefully I can get back on top of this, I need it!!!
ReplyDelete